|What you may have heard.
||What you need to know.
|A new charter school does not have any added value at this time.
- Currently there are 765 students on the waiting list for enrollment at Rocklin Academy, and 98 students on the waiting list at Western Sierra for grades 6-8.
- Many more families have expressed interest, but did not apply due to the size of the waiting list.
- Many families desire to have their children experience the educational program our schools offer.
- Outstanding teachers and support staff
- Core Knowledge Curriculum
- Professional Learning Communities
- Highest Academic Performance Index (API) scores in region
- Powerful Parent School Partnership
- Mastery Learning Philosophy
- Growth improves the financial strength of organization.
- Economies of scale are greatly improved as our organization grows in a thoughtful way.
- Our analysis confirms that the new school will not be a financial drain on our existing schools. In fact the new school will be a positive revenue generator or we won’t embark on this proposal.
|The new charter school will be located in the Rocklin Unified School District boundaries.
- There has not been a decision as to where a new charter school will be located.
- The first job is to find a school district within Placer County to sponsor our new school.
- The facility we are looking for needs to be of sufficient size, in a school friendly location, be cost efficient, and provide all the amenities that the school will require.
- The availability of commercial sites is very favorable at this time. All indicators tell us we should be able to secure a desirable location at a favorable price.
|Transitional Kindergarten will be available at Meyers or Turnstone campuses next year.
- The existing Rocklin Academy housing agreement limits enrollment at both the Meyers and Turnstone campuses.
- The enrollment limits make it impossible to add transitional kindergarten at either campus.
- It is not clear that charter schools are required to offer a transitional kindergarten program at this time.
- A new charter school would make it possible to offer transitional kindergarten if there is an interest and the executive board authorizes the program.
|A child that is on the current waiting list for Rocklin Academy Turnstone and Meyers will have preference for enrollment when the new charter school opens.
- Prospective families must apply separately to the new charter school, and no enrollment preference will be given to those currently on a waiting list for Rocklin Academy Turnstone or Meyers.
- A new charter school, by state law, must conduct lotteries for each grade level it receives more applicants than it has spots available. The lottery will establish ranking and create the waiting list for the new charter school.
- A student who is currently enrolled at one elementary campus, who wishes to attend a different elementary campus within the organization, must apply to that campus, and will be treated as a new applicant without any enrollment preference. Eligibility for enrollment will be offered based on the waiting list for that location and grade level.
- Students that do have a preference for enrollment at the new charter school include:
- Dependents of RAFOS full-time teachers and classified staff
- Dependents of Rocklin Academy Board of Directors members
- Dependents of Board-approved expert advisors
- Siblings of enrolled students at the new charter school or Western Sierra.
- Students that reside in the attendance area of the sponsoring school district